What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Friday, July 26, 2013

Let No Opportunity For Hypocrisy Go To Waste

Cynthia Ruccia



It's been a busy summer so far, and it's going to get even busier. Every time I think I'm going to write a piece something comes along and prevents me from doing it. I suppose that in some ways that is a blessing. However, today, I just can't contain myself, so the lawn will just have to go unmowed until I vent my spleen a little.

I had to go to Sacramento, CA on a business trip this week. Of course, since I live in Columbus, OH, there aren't any direct flights to such places, so I had to take 2 three-hour flights each way. I decided to fire up my kindle with "This Town: Two Parties and a Funeral--Plus Plenty of Valet Parking!--In America's Gilded Capital" by Mark Leibovich to keep myself from dying of boredom as the airplanes droned on.

This book was an amazing navel gazing exercise in the overwhelming narcissism that has taken over D.C. these days. I have become cynical over the years about government. I've gone from being a 60's--70's wild eyed hippie idealist to a hard-nosed realist after running for Congress in the 90's after seeing first hand the power of money in politics. I say realist because I accepted that part of the game and became quite good at it----good enough to have raised millions, written a fundraising how-to book, and criss-crossed the country having been hired by state parties from all over the place to teach their folks how to bring in the green. It just seemed practical, that's all. Money makes things happen, so there needed to be plenty of it to achieve the things that I thought were important. It's just business, you know?

Well, just like many of you, I really got my belief system destroyed in 2008 after the whole Hillary/Sarah/sexism fest/debacle. That whole thing went against everything I believed in and I along with 4 million others made an exit from the Democrats. Others have written much more eloquently about it than I, and all of us have had to muddle through a re-set in our views.

I thought I had reached a place that I could live with politically, proud Independent and all, but nothing prepared me for what was in this book------one  I couldn't take my nose out of for the entire 12 hours I was stuck in those planes. This book revolted me, but I couldn't put it down. After reading it, I am so disgusted with politicians and the media (and truth be told, the highly entertaining but narcissistic author----must take one to know one or something like that). I thought I understood the nature of the swamp in D.C., but I knew nothing. It was many degrees worse than I could ever imagine, and I'm feeling like a big rube for ever putting any credibility in any of the players there. I am disgusted with all of them and even more, I am disgusted with myself for my naivete and my stupidity in ever believing in anything.

HOWEVER, I still want to see women reach the highest rungs in numbers proportionally proper (say 50% or so). So it is with this backdrop that I am following the carnival around Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin. I'm not going to offer up any commentary on their hypocrisy. You can read all about it from every conceivable angle by using your search engines.  You can read all sides about whether Huma should leave that weasel, about whether she was complicit and so power hungry herself that she really doesn't care, what kind of disgraceful human beings they both are, blah blah blah. You can read all about all of the major players trying to convince him to drop out, all of the latest polling of New Yorkers that reveals that although his numbers have slipped, there is still support for him, all of it. You can also listen to the poor thing who thought she was having a relationship with Weiner via texting, etc. You can even read about some sleazy sexual details that we really didn't need to know but can't stop reading about . I plead guilty to my own sick voyeurism in all of it.

HOWEVER, what has really blown my gasket is this article which says that Anthony Weiner should stay in the race and let New Yorkers decide whether they want him as their mayor. Actually, I agree with that position. HOWEVER, it is a hard position to square with Obama supporters who screamed bloody murder for Hillary to get out of the race but now can feel comfortable taking the position that Weiner has every right to stay in the race, a position that this article encourages. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

This whole thing is just giving me a high blood pressure headache. After reading what I thought was the ultimate form of cynicism about our national leadership both political and media-wise, I though maybe I was going to be inoculated----finally-----from the venal hypocrisies we are faced with from these hacks every day. But no------begging Hillary to get out of the race because she cannot win but telling folks to let democracy take its course in the case of dick-challenged Anthony Weiner is simply too much. Like I said in the title------no opportunity for hypocrisy must go to waste. Need I say more?


15 comments:

  1. I think you're just going through the summer doldrums Cynthia. I am too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy----you're probably right.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. although you are right in feeling that Weiner's sin was worse than Hillary, but then, she doesn't have a dick. Just balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snarking in New MexicoJuly 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM

    I agree Weenie and Huma of the Muslim Brotherhood High Up Family should stay in the mayoral race. They provide me with constant laffs, unlike the drek and depression of the Race Baiter in Chief, aka the Kenyan American Princess, as NoQuarter blog so eloquently labels him today.

    Also, I do appreciate the link to Weenie's girl friend, Leathers, for informing me about what women need from phone sex. One is never to old to learn something new, and I sure did.

    I am confident more titillating news will emerge from this stellar NYC couple, as the sleaze continues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia----Good to "see" you again---Love the rant...!
    Remember when Sarah Palin winked at her dad during the 2008 VP Debate?? You would've thought she had foreclosed on an orphanage. The outrage was incredible!
    To me, it appears that the really perverse and sick actions of the patriarchs are mostly from Democrats...not all, but most. Mark Sanford is a Repub, but he's not a pervert, at least.
    And P.S., just where are the adults in the Dem Party? They only like women they can control, and they let their menfolk run around acting like sophomoric sickos. Hypocrites, indeed, and their running the country........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess both sides' men have their own way of being pigs. It's just the Dems turn to be front and center. To be honest, I'm enjoying watching the white-faced Dems have their turn in the mortification room. hahahahahaha. They have been too high and mighty so it's their turn to get cut down. The pendulum is swinging....

      Delete
  6. Democrats are anti woman and Obama is particularly bad. Democrat women spend their time and energy making excuses for Democrat men so of course they are pretty busy people and don't have a chance to get ahead themselves.

    So who do you think Obama will pick for the new Fed Chairman? Janet Yellen or Larry Summers. And where are the "feminists".
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-25/pelosi-says-it-would-be-great-to-have-female-as-chair-of-fed.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There just aren't enough "feminists" to make any more noise than a squeak. However, since they're not saying anything important or coherent any more, it's better that way.

      Delete
    2. True. But you would think Larry Summers beating out a qualified woman for Fed Chairman would bring them out.

      Delete
    3. well right---Bes---YOU'D THINK that they would. However, seems like we're holding on to a past that doesn't exist anymore. Kind of like some were writing about the civil rights movement of yore. We have to face today's reality. Yes some things are better than before the feminists. But there's alot of unfinished business and the old feminists are sadly a one note song. Calcified. Not able to move with the times. Sad....

      Sad for ALL of us who want better. Dumb of us to keep looking for leadership in that dried up old well....

      Delete
  7. 99.9 % of the politicians and just about everyone in DC are scum. The whole "business" is a scum magnet. Just when you think you've found the new low they will surprise you with yet another level of grotesque scumery. I'm not surprised when men, especially lefty men who seem to get a free pass from women, think they can get away with this sort of bizarre behavior. Time will tell if Weiner will. Pleeeeeease can we start voting for smaller government! Forget your lefty or righty ideology - let's just give fewer of these sleazeballs so much power over our lives and money.

    Keep in mind that in '08 Hillary didn't actually DO anything wrong. She was just inconvenient to Pres. Obama's ascension and she got crapped on. She wasn't even openly depraved or sexually perverse - maybe it would have helped her although I suspect the left would not defend her as it did her husband.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the whole business is a scum magnet"

      well, that about sums up that book Thia. You do have a way with the English language!!!!

      Delete
  8. So Cynthia,

    Should I read the book, or will it just make me more disgusted than I already am with the majority of the people in power these days? I'm currently residing in Texas!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I'd say if you're interested, read it for yourself and make your own conclusions. I'd love to hear what you think!!!!

      Delete