What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Interrupt My Vacation For A Word About Sarah Palin

Cynthia Ruccia



I am in sunny southern Italy for a family wedding. I've been really enjoying the food, the gorgeous weather, swimming in the Adriatic, being with my husband's wonderful family who all live here and whom we see too little of, and just getting away from it all. Sort of. Even here, you can't really unplug yourself. One would have to go to the moon for that these days. Or beyond.

So I was catching up on the news from home when this odious piece landed in my inbox, and until I comment I won't be able to eat another lucious scamorza fresca, a fioroni fig, or anything else until I get this off my chest. My niece's wedding is in about 8 hours, and even on this special day, I'm thinking about the state of women and sexism back in the United States.

Joan Walsh needs to resign her position at Salon-----or they need to fire her. Seriously. I'm a little late to the party about her (my friend K is constantly surprised that I give this woman any credibility), but I thought that at least for a woman to have ascended to the helm of one of the most successful internet magazines, she must have SOMETHING going for her. Lately, she has become SHRILL-------------hahahahahahahaha. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I know it is horrible to call a member of the sisterhood shrill. But it is meant as a deep insult. Sorry again.

It drives me out of my mind that neither the right nor the left can cut Sarah Palin any slack. The left has concocted this ridiculous meme about her (and anyone white I might add). Palin has become a totem of everything that the left has hatred about. That subject is a moving target, and if you read the piece referenced above, you will see the faux outrage of the moment. You know the drill------anyone who disagrees with Obama or the lefties is a racist, all of the people who don't hold their views are subhuman, blah blah blah. And Walsh has become an agile spokesperson for this particular craziness that has infected the Democrats and the left. You can practically hear her foaming at the mouth and projecting spittle everywhere she goes. For someone who thinks she is an intellectual, she's really just a petty bigot. But she dog whistles the left on this racism thing, a thing that in itself has become racist. You know----if your skin is white and you aren't agreeing with her on everything, you must be a racist. Or stupid. Or dangerous. Or anti-American. We have the age of Obama to thank for this crap. And really, if you hold those points of view, it is YOU who are racist and anti-American. And dangerous. People are entitled to their opinions in this country----everyone. If you choose to quash any POV but your own, you are being un American imho. Etc.

So the "not one of us" meme carried to its extreme drives me nuts. But pile a heaping dollop of sexism on top of it will make me interrupt my vacay because I can't enjoy a darn thing here, and this tirade requires my command of English, not my middling Italian.

I see sexism at every turn in the insanity that Palin seems to inspire. First off, let's begin with Walsh and her ridiculously scornful comment that Palin is using her "trademark sex appeal" to have a platform. I smell jealousy of the visceral sort. It's an old story that for some women who are insecure about themselves that if someone does better than they do and they are pretty, that she must have gotten there because she was prettier. That is a low blow coming from someone who is supposed to be smart. That's as crude as if someone said that man X is better than man Y because he has a bigger dick. Although that may be true in certain instances (both the male and female examples) it is beneath Walsh to even go there. But of course her audience is insane, completely off their rocker when it comes to Palin. If anyone had said that about one of their own, they'd be apoplectic and on the war path. But somehow it is ok to drop that on someone they don't like. Hypocrites of the highest order. And Walsh shows that she couldn't care less about women getting ahead. If she did, she wouldn't be using that kind of example which only perpetuates sexist memes. And that meme is one of the worst.

Another reason I am nuts, is that the lefties have fed themselves a false narrative about Palin-------completely false. They like perpetuating the idea that she is stupid, unaccomplished, etc. All of them sexist stories that entrap women and prevent them from breaking glass ceilings in any significant numbers. You may not agree with some of her positions, fine. Argue those. But to say that Palin believes in stuff that her record indicates she doesn't and then to go after her for it, well, how would they like to be treated that way. NOT!! Palin actually has a considerable record of accomplishment standing up to the establishment of her own party and winning, an astounding feat if there ever was one. Try accomplishing THAT Joan Walsh!! And Palin had a very good record in many areas as governor. She appointed Supreme Court justices who were prochoice because they were good candidates, and really I could write a dissertation on this subject, but I'll stop here.

But equally troubling is the deafening silence from the right. Where is the outrage at the sexism against one of their own? What I am seeing is that the right is also scared of her potent appeal and they want to quash it. And it seems that the best way to do it is to let the left do the dirty work. As usual I come around to my unfortunate fallback conclusion and that is that BOTH parties are incredibly sexist and that neither party wants a woman at the top. And the end result is that if women want power, they will have to grab it like anyone else. And Palin is an interesting example of how to grab it. Wherever Palin ends up, she won't let the sexists cow her. If anything, it brings out the best in her, and we can all learn from her boldness. Kudos to her for that.

Finally, my friend J brought to my attention that somehow it was ok, according to Walsh, that Jeb Bush made that "fertility" comment, but trashed Palin for going after him? So he gets a free pass and not her? What is the reasoning there? I guess it must be because Palin is a woman and thus it is ok to trash her and not the actual perpetrator of the comment, a comment that on its face was ridiculous and sexist.

So there is sexism everywhere you turn. Left, right, everywhere. I am a proud Independent. I call it as I see it. And although my position might be a bit radical and unattainable, it would serve everyone, male, female, left, or right, to try to be more attentive to their sexism. It is corrosive.

Hopefully I have vented enough to get back to the pleasures of my vacation which is coming to an end. Screw the Palin haters. Bring on the pasta!!!!



35 comments:

  1. Sarah Palin is like crack to democrats. They can't quit her. Looking back, I realized a while ago that the Obama campaign in 2008 ran against Palin, not McCain and ran a very sexist campaign at that. It still disgusts me that so many people I know and love fell in to it and went along. It is not that I admire her politics, other than her "guts". To me it is sickening to see women go after other women to win the approval of the guys. I just don't think women realize they are doing it. Imagine if we ever did decide to join ranks and police our own rather than chasing the approval of men who will never willing give up the power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well TeresaInPa-----kudos to you. You nailed that better than I ever could!! It IS sickening to see women go after other women to gain the qpproval of the guys. Joan Walsh is exhibit A!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped reading anything Joan Walsh had to say some time ago. The woman is scum. Or crazy. Or both.

    Mostly I just think of her, when I can't stop myself from thinking about her at all, as Lil Chris McTingles goofy sidekick.

    The left's insane hatred of Sarah Palin, and their need to lie about things she says and does shows that they have a real problem with strong women who dare to disagree with the liberal Feminist memes.

    I am not a giant Palin fan. I think she has endured, along with her family, more attacks, for no good reason, than any citizen should have to endure. Most from the media. But she named then right from the beginning when she called them the "Lamestream" media. I just call them presstitutes.

    As for right not coming to her rescue, are we surprised? They too have seemed to have a problem with Sarah Palin right from the start. The elite-leadership of the party, not the citizens who love her.

    Wouldn't a Sarah Palin/Ted Cruz ticket send the media and the libs into a feeding frenzy? Or I would prefer with a Cruz/Palin ticket since I believe that she needs more experience. After 8 years as the first female VPOTUS to the first Hispanic POTUS she would be ready to be the first female POTUS. I can dream can't I?

    And how about Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg coming to that POS Bill Maher's rescue when he attacked Trig Palin? Feminists? If so I'm glad I'm not. I don't even see them as women. Just cockroaches. Gender unspecified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the McTingles analogy!!! bwahahahahahahahaha

      Delete
    2. Question - why do you automatically assume that Cruz has more experience, etc. than the Governor does - seems like you don't believe your own rhetoric ... what the hell is she supposed to do to prove that she is capable of running the country? after all, she ran a State - has Cruz? btw - I chose ananymous out of all the choices to post here but my name all over the blogs is susiepuma.............

      Delete
  4. I can't understand why they are still so obsessed in attacking her. Palin is no longer VP candidate, and that election was 5 years ago. Obsessive much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I labor to understand that one-----

      Delete
    2. The answer to your question is contained in the warning that Anita Dunn gave Obama when she said, "Don't underestimate that woman".

      Delete
  5. Agree with ever word. Not a huge Palin fan, but the vitriol spewed at her still astounds me sometimes. She makes a speech and shows up for an hour on TV and BOOM! Heads explode! It is almost comical if it wasn't so downright nasty. Walsh's article rings entirely personal and a little bit creepy, she needs to step back and take a loooong break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they all need to take a long hard look into their souls and be ashamed of themselves

      Delete
  6. "Wouldn't a Sarah Palin/Ted Cruz ticket send the media and the libs into a feeding frenzy? Or I would prefer with a Cruz/Palin ticket since I believe that she needs more experience. After 8 years as the first female VPOTUS to the first Hispanic POTUS she would be ready to be the first female POTUS. I can dream can't I?"

    Kenoshamarge, with all due respect, How do you figure Ted Cruz is more experienced (and thus more qualified) than Palin? I know I'm missing something here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read he has a lot of experience. For instance:

      He was Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to May 2008, after being appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott.

      He was the first Hispanic Solicitor General in Texas,the youngest Solicitor General in the United States, and had the longest tenure in Texas history.

      Cruz was a partner at the law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, where he led the firm’s U.S. Supreme Court and national appellate litigation practice.

      He previously served as the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an Associate Deputy Attorney General at the United States Department of Justice, and as Domestic Policy Advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign.

      In addition, Cruz was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation, from 2004 to 2009.


      Those things plus his being in the Senate until 2016 means quite a bit of experience.

      He also is a great debater which would certainly come in handy. He won the top speaker award at both the 1992 U.S. National Debating Championship and the 1992 North American Debating Championship. In 1992 he was named U.S. National Speaker of the Year and Team of the Year (with his debate partner, David Panton).Cruz was also a semi-finalist at the 1995 World Universities Debating Championship.

      If Sarah Palin hadn't resigned as Governor, and I know all reasons she did, I might not be more in favor of Ted Cruz than her at the top of the ticket.

      I am not a gender voter and while I would dearly love to see a woman in the White House I want that woman to be as ready and able as possible, especially if it's a Republican woman because the left and their lapdog media will Never stop attacking her.

      Delete
    2. yes KenoshaMarge-----we all need to dream about what could be. Especially since what is ain't too hot....

      Delete
    3. What is stinks! While I think that Sarah Palin needs more experience to be a worthy POTUS she has as much as the POS in the White House now. And look where that has got us!

      I believe that Sarah Palin has more character in her little finger than Obama has in his whole body. And I'm not even that big of a Palin fan. Just what I've observed.

      However he had the media and most of the left, other than the Clinton machine, which sputtered and failed, helping him. Plus the AA community voted for him nearly 90%. Think women would do the same for Sarah Palin? Not bloody damn likely.

      For Sarah Palin it would be an uphill battle every step of the way. What the media did to Hillary would be nothing to what they would do to Sarah Palin, and her family, were she a presidential candidate. The viciousness they showed her as a vice-presidential candidate was just them warming up.

      Although I do believe that if she ran with Ted Cruz she could count on him to stand up for and with her not like wimpy McCain. His excuse that she could take care of herself, which she can, was lame considering that his campaign staff was knifing her in the back.

      Again JMO.

      Delete
  7. I would love to take your fourth paragraph and copy and paste it all over the place. Well said!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Wouldn't a Sarah Palin/Ted Cruz ticket send the media and the libs into a feeding frenzy?
    Sounds good to me.

    Poor Joanie. Her writing style reminds me a bit of Peggy Noonan, trying to emulate the polished and bright Peggy, but achieves only with snot, vitriol, acerbicity, and basic meanness. Walsh is at her "best" attacking women, it seems. Yet, what does one expect from Salon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Noonan better by a long shot, but I get your analogy

      Delete
  9. Cynthia----Thank you for this post---Yours is an excellent assessment as usual.

    As per vacationing in Italy----Divertisi, amico mio!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In every field you can name there are many accomplished, intelligent, creative women. Unfortunately in industries that are dominated by men the only women who advance are those who are experts at kissing the hairy ass directly in front of them. Joan is one of those women. I agree watching women grovel for male approval is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bes----you are always to clearsighted, and you are again as usual....

      Delete

  11. Joan who?

    I love Sarah's sexy looks. She is definitely an attractive woman. Eat your heart out Joan, who ever you are. Some women have it, and some women don't . Get used to it.

    Have a great vacation. Italy sounds great. Forget Joan. She is of no significance. You give her credibility by acknowledging her ignorance.


    Posted by MaryPuma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right---I do give her credibility, but she needs to be called out for what she is.They all do

      Delete
  12. Excellent piece. I was stunned when I read that Walsh diatribe. Could see a spittle fleck monitor as she spoke the vile sentences as she typed away in a frenzy.

    Pathetic individual.

    Good for Palin. I admire and respect her. She's got more common sense than most in DC. Additionally, everything the left has mocked her about, has turned out she was correct. Death panels? Check. BO's 'leadership'? Check. I suspect she will be proven correct on Syria as well. How insane is it that this admin is going to send supplies to AQ and similar associates?

    ReplyDelete
  13. But.... she is stupid and unaccomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Psst.... Nothing is more sexist coming from a woman than saying one woman dislikes another because she is jealous of her looks. I'm surprised you didn't say she's jealous because Sarah stole her boyfriend.

    Pro tip: If you are going to create an entire blog dedicated to calling out sexism, maybe you shouldn't be so...sexist. Physician, heal thyself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are anon-----but that's funny!! hahahahahahaha

      Delete
    2. Equally sexist is defending a woman simply because she is a woman. If a man displayed the same intellectual non-curiosity, the same vitriolic hatred of anything perceived as slightly progressive, the same dishonest personality and grasping selfishness of Sarah Palin, he would be called out, not sanctified.

      What I take from your post is "don't pick on the poor little girl".

      Delete
    3. then what you take away from my piece is your own prejudice because that is not where I am coming from. The argument you offer is the refuge of sexist, because since time immemorial to the present, people will put up with alot more garbage from a man BECAUSE HE IS A MAN than that which they would tolerate from a woman. And people vote for men because they are men. Your argument is weak in all respects. If you want to have this discussion with me, please identify yourself and stop hiding behind "anonymous" for that is another refuge for the weak.

      Delete
    4. I would remain anoymous too if I wrote something that dishonest, hatefilled and vitriolic, wouldn't you Cynthia?

      What a load of crap. Don't pick on the poor little girl? How about responding to her as if you were an adult and not like an adolescent who brings nothing to the conversation but insults and lies.

      She may not be your cup of tea anoymous but she is far more of a person than your appear to be. And far less filled with hate.

      Sadly Cynthia those that hate Sarah Palin, but know nothing about her except what some other hater has written, will not change. Many of them are so ignorant they quote "her" when they are really quoting the Tina Fey scumbag.

      I loathe them with all my being.

      Delete
  15. Buon Giorno!

    The reason why both the right and the left attack Palin has nothing to do with her sex. It is because Governor Palin can not be bought!

    Palin exposed the corruption in her own party when she quit office and then ran against the corrupt Governor and won. That was a mortal sin to the corrupt "Bush Crime Family." The eunuch corrupt GOP elites are perfectly content to permit the left to do their dirty work.
    Palin has consistently given speeches against "Corrupt Crony Capitalism" as the reason why the rich get richer. Palin consistently talks about "The District of Corruption" and how politicians are "Bought and Paid For" by lobbyists for Big Government, Big Business, Big Labor, and Big Education.

    The criticisms of Palin are all to label her an airhead so as not to discuss the issues and take the focus of what she is saying BECAUSE Palin wants to clean up the District of Corruption and that would stop the gravy train of DC feeding at the trough of greed and screwing We the People. FOLLOW THE MONEY, forget about the criticism of Palin. That only allows the corruptocrats to confuse the issues. What further pisses them off is that Palin is quick witted and makes them out to be the fools they are. Sorry, but I love her when it comes to her fight against corruption. It unites both sides of the aisle and that is what scares the hell out of the elites in both parties.

    As for Walsh, she just wants the first female POTUS to be a Democrat. Palin doesn't have an ego and could care less about being POTUS. She just wants to clean up DC and if that means helping people get elected who are not "Bought and Paid For" that's good enough for her but that means putting the "Bush Crime Family" out of business.

    I've been in Tuscany for 6 weeks now and I could care less about Joan Walsh. Enjoy yourself. You are in Paradise without the food police! Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have alot of admiration for Palin and her accomplishments, and you list them so well. However, I have to disagree about the "sexist" part. People stoop to that at the same time they are making other criticisms. I don't mind arguing the points, and I may dislike the criticisms, but when you add on top of all of that the sexism, it is just wrong. It diminishes and demeans all women. You might want to look at the videos in the right column which illustrate well the kind of things I am talking about.

      Allora----Toscana!!! Che bello!!! Sei fortunato!! Amo l'Italia!!

      Delete
  16. Cynthia, you always manage to say with passion and eloquence what is in my head but can't be put into words effectively. Your article was great, as were many of the comments from readers. Thank you for interrupting your vacation to inspire us once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a compliment!! Thanks so much!!!!

      Delete