What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Thursday, November 1, 2012

I'm an Ohioan, I'm an Independent, and I Don't Care Who You Vote For For President!!

Cynthia Ruccia



Ok everyone------CALM DOWN!!!!   (myself included). This election has gotten everyone haggard, out of sorts, cranky, and even vile, nasty, abusive, and more. It is almost over, and I think we all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and stop attacking each other. All of the tactics used by both sides of the campaign are being used to keep us pissed off and at each others throats and it is working magnificently. It is a tactic to keep the "base" corralled in place and voting their way. And in the process we are all acting like a bunch of loony crazies.

I'd like to remind everyone who follows this blog that once this election is completed, we will still have no female president or vice-president. We will still have 3.6% of CEO's of Fortune 1000 companies be female, we will still make only 77 cents on the man's dollar. As for the electoral stats, even the most optimistic of estimates gives women 20% of the U. S. Congressional makeup. I will be watching the Center For Women and Politics at Rutgers University website for updated stats, and although I am hoping for the best, who knows how our gender makeup will turn out this time? One thing I am certain of is that for the first time EVER, my U.S. Representative is likely to be a woman!!! How about that!!!!

And I'd like to say that I don't care who you vote for and I am hoping you will afford me the same courtesy. My blog isn't about how great or awful the Republicans or the Democrats are. It's not about Romney or Obama really. It would have been nice if either or both of them had nominated a woman VP, but that didn't happen. I am voting for who I am voting for for my own reasons. I have already voted, and I voted a split ticket----I voted for an equal number of Republicans and Democrats.

I am equally hard on both the Democrats and the Republicans on this blog. I believe that the tactics used in this presidential campaign to scare women are sexist in the extreme, and these tactics disgust me. And if I criticize, I am just as likely to be accused of being a tool of one side or the other. I find that offensive as well. People are so riled up by this election they have forgotten that there are people out there that don't look at this whole thing from the lens of left or right. There are many other ways to look at the positions of this election, and I won't be corralled by either party.

I was a Democrat for 40 years. I ran for Congress twice, the Ohio House once, raise over a million dollars, which in the 90's was almost unheard of from a complete unknown, I worked on the party executive committee, and travelled around the country teaching fundraising seminars at the behest of the state parties. I have spent 40 years demonizing the Republicans and praising the Democrats. I am done doing that. I am tired of demonizing and praising.

I've learned alot these past 4 years, and I continue to learn. I left the Democratic party in 2008 like 4 million other party stalwarts. Some left because of the way the primary campaign was run by the party, and others of us left because of the sexism from the left. But we all left because we believed in something that turned out to be bogus or non existent.

What I have learned is that there are some things I like about both sides. And there are things I really can't abide on  both sides. When I criticize the Democrats, I am accused of being a Republican, and when I criticize the Republicans, I am accused of being a Democrat.  The Democrats continue to try to woo me back, and the Republicans are suspicious of me since I have shown that I can be a traitor if necessary. It is all just totally screwed up. And I'm not joining either side ever again. I'll vote how I want to and I'll believe in what I choose.

But let me say this-----I just cannot abide the way the Democrats have been fearmongering women. And I still don't like the way the Republicans won't try to promote women more aggressively for what seems to me the flimsiest of reasons. But these views of mine are nothing new. I have been nothing if not consistent if you choose to read through the blog archives. If you look at my blog "tag" above, this blog is about trying to reframe women's issues outside of the attempt by both parties to define the women's agenda. In my mind, neither party is addressing what to me is the most critical need, and that is to get women into positions of power in numbers equal to our proportion in society. All of the other issues that fall into the "women's issues" box will be addressed completely differently if we have the correct number of women from both sides of the aisle as our representatives. The intransigent women's issues of the past 40 years won't be intransigent any more. Until then we women are like little Oliver Twist begging for more food to people who really don't care all that much until it is time to get our vote. Then we are promised alot of nothing that never happens. Oh we may get a crumb----it might even be a crumb with a dead cockroach in it. It is simply NOT ENOUGH. We women deserve our place at the table.

To get our place at the table, we women will need to get together and stop letting ourselves be divided by things that aren't advancing our cause. It's as simple as that. You cannot accuse me of being a Democrat or Republican for expressing those views because neither party is addressing them. Neither party is speaking to me.

So let's take a deep breath, calm down, and stop going after each other. Once the dust has settled next week, there will still be much to be done to get to women's parity. Not much will have changed. And to be honest, the parties are really content to watch we women fight one another. ENOUGH!!!! We are better than that and we need to rise above those expectations. For the sake of all both living and the generations to come, we must continue to find a way to parity and equality.


12 comments:

  1. sensible comments, Cynthia. And you are at the "eye of the storm" (election). I agree with you that we women have a long way to go for even 1/4 parity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Anonymous----we have quite a long way to go. Lots to do!!

      Delete
  2. Let us continue to hold appropriate feet to the fire... We will stay Independent, and We will continue to blog about it, and demand Parity. And we will all chip away at the Marble Ceiling until it is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your attitude Anita!!!! Marble ceiling indeed----we will prevail!!

      Delete
  3. Well said! I'm proud to be a free thinker and I'm proud of you for being one too! I don't think we are ever going to just all get along - but we can be civil to each other even if we disagree vehemently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for that Thia----just think. If we disagree, and we sincerely listen to each other and make an effort to understand why someone holds a different opinion, we could really deepen our understanding of things. And why not? This demonizing of another because we disagree doesn't get us anywhere.

      Delete
    2. Thia, I agree with you; well said.

      Delete
  4. It's always divide and conquer. Just once I'd like to see like what happens in the movies, where the townsfolk get "wise" to the stranger that pits them one 'agin the other.They hunt him down just as he's coming out of the barber shop and he starts making excuses and tripping over his tongue. Just once? Maybe a few times. Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a lovely fantasy. Maybe we will see it happen sometime in our lifetime------just not this year.

      Delete
  5. BTW. What's with all the nasty toward Ohio these days? All the states get a say - Ohio is only important if we all vote in our states too... Weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sigh---I can't blame the ugliness right now towards Ohio. If I weren't an Ohioan I might feel the same way too. It is TOO much the part that the media is saying we will play. It's a burden to us and it makes all of the other states feel irrelevant. On a lighter note:
      http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/11/01/fawning-over-ohio-triggers-state-envy.html

      Delete