What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What If Things Had Been Different? Some Random Thoughts About Hillary Cinton

Cynthia Ruccia



My views on Hillary Clinton have exasperated many people, husband included. I am one of many who regret every single day that Hillary Clinton wasn't elected president in 2008. I often wonder how life would be different if history had taken a different turn and Hillary had won back then. And when I muse on the subject, people return to their exasperation and tell me to get over it in some form or another. Many of you have had the same experiences and I hope you will take a few minutes to comment below and share what's been happening to you in that regard.

You know, right from the start, the whole idea of "get over it" is crude, rude, and uncaring. The dirty secrets about sexism and how it thrives in the U.S. were exposed and many just don't want to hear about it. It sullies their image of who we are as Americans. But the "get over it" mantra really kicks in as ridiculous when people don't want to think about any other political views I might have and want me to just shut up. It can drive me crazy as well because I actually like a good back and forth with people who hold different views from myself. But I don't like having someone try to get my back up against the wall and corner me trying to make me assume a point of view I don't hold and then getting mad at me when I tell them where I'm really coming from. I find those conversations exhausting.



Anyhow, I am meandering. I know that some people who supported Hillary have long abandoned her because she has been carrying water for the current president (I don't feel that way). There are also people who are disappointed in some of the stances she has taken as Secretary of State. I'm of the opinion that you just can't agree with everything anyone does. Heck----my wonderful husband of 41 years who I simply adore and I don't agree on everything. It follows that while I might have liked to see Hillary Clinton do a few things differently, I don't walk in her shoes, and she is who she is. She sure
has done alot of things right in my book.

As we enter the home stretch of the presidential campaign, I find myself on pins and needles. As an Ohio voter (and listen up----I have ALREADY VOTED----no persuasion will change my vote at this point), you can't imagine the people who come out of the woodwork to try to influence my vote. People I haven't heard from in many years have tried mighty hard to convince me to vote one way or another. In 2008, there were a few folks I hadn't seen since my childhood at sleepaway camp who realized that I was the only Ohioan they knew and who labored hard to bring me back into the Democratic fold. I really laugh about it now. Who would have ever thought their assignment would bring them face to face with one of many leaders of the 4 million rebels who left the Democratic Party for good? hahahahahahahaha, poor things. For them it was a tough if not impossible assignment. And then there was that woman from Texas who called me a "dried up old white woman" and that since she was hispanic  "soon enough there are going to be more of us than there are of you and when that happens we're going to come after you "  a few months back who came back to try to convince me that she really didn't mean it and tried to persuade me who to vote for. Riiiight. That kind of talk might land you in jail up here in Ohio.

And even now, I continue to get people who scold me for not doing what Hillary wanted me to do, and that is to vote Democratic. They send me her concession speech in 2008 and tell me they are disgusted with me for not being a good Hillary supporter because she said that life was too short to hold this kind of a grudge. But those well meaning but shortsighted folks don't understand that this isn't about grudge holding. This has turned out to be a recalibration of who I am and what I believe in. And then exasperation enters the picture. I am exasperated because they refuse to even try to see what I see, and they are exasperated because they want me to go back to who I was. Even the ones who love me alot don't always let me off the hook. But I keep trying, and at the very least I am given by them at least an understanding that I am allowed to think whatever it is I want to think as per the first amendment. I'll take that as a fine first step.

So what would have happened if Hillary had won and had brought the party together by putting Obama on the ticket as VP? It's of course impossible to know, but let me fantasize. She would have been demonized by many but loved by many more. She would have been effective in making our times more prosperous. As VP, Obama would have had the perfect setup to be part of a 16-year reign of Democratic majorities. The Democratic Party would be united in purpose. 4 million entrenched members of the party would be continuing to keep the many moving parts of the party in great working order. I could go on and on, but I won't, cause really who knows?

On a personal level, I wouldn't have met so many wonderful folks who I am proud to call my friends. I wouldn't have found my own voice, I wouldn't have discovered how much I love to write, and I wouldn't be using the more creative side of my brain to reinvent myself. Those things have been worth the pain.

I like to think that once Hillary gets over her exhaustion, which I understand she has been feeling for 4 long years in her current position, she will run for president again. And WIN this time. I am hopeful that resigning as Secretary of State was a strategic move as have been many things she has done to position herself for such a run. She is keeping her options open. I keep hearing from many that she will be too old. I completely disagree with that. Heck, she'll be younger than Reagan with no history of Alzheimer's in the family. Why put such a wealth of experience out to pasture? And besides, who else is there? And in my lifetime I want to have a women president. There is no one else with the deep qualifications needed except maybe Condi Rice, and she's not running.

I still think Hillary Clinton has what it takes to be president and I don't see her as a quitter. She wants to do work to help women and children, her life's work. Hillary-----you can have the GREATEST impact of all on future generations of girls by becoming our president. So, to quote you, "you have just one life to live. It is yours. Own it, claim it, live it, do the best you can with it." Your whole life has been leading up to this. Do the right thing. And for sure I know you will do it without whining!!!!


19 comments:

  1. "Holding a grudge?"
    I don't see that it is holding a grudge to have thought through one's vote, to be informed. Why does anybody have to see the Dem. party the way SOS Clinton does or did? Why would anybody necessarily regard or have to regard Pres. Obama in lockstep with other Dems.? Then be called names for not doing being in lockstep with the party.

    That is what democracy is about, that we are free to think for ourselves and say our opinions. Not be censored, not HAVE to vote for someone because we feel it is not in our interests or right.

    And why can't people see that we are not better off than 4 years go, and that our foreign policy is pretty much in a mess. Why must they pressure and call us names if we don't join their opinions?

    I remain an Indy, after becoming one 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was called by a democrat pollster and asked how I was voting in various races. I almost hesitated to say I was democrat, and then it dawned on me, I am a democrat, who wants to see the democrat progressive movement downgraded to supporting cast, and I basically decided for most part, I will vote republican as long the republican politician isn't a tool for huge corporations that pollute far more than necessary and aren't interested in renewable energy.

      Mitt is close to losing me because of his stance on old school energy, and his ambivalence towards the consumer protection financial protection bureau. I may be voting third party, Jill Stein.

      Delete
    2. it is interesting that sometimes our right to our own thoughts gets lost in the shuffle

      Delete
    3. Alessandro----I still wish we could vote for Hillary. I'd have voted for Jill Stein if I didn't live in Ohio.

      Delete
  2. You express my thoughts so clearly. I have wondered the same things and came to the same conclusions in my wishful thinking moments! I left the Democratic Party but I still call myself a Clinton Democrat. In 2008 I was glad to vote for McCain(even with a wacko VP)over a inexperienced, not ready, cheater but 2012 is not 2008 and the stakes and political landscape has changed I do not vote for Obama but I do vote for the Democratic Platform over the Republican Ayn Rand/radical religiosity)platform because Bill Clinton made it clear as to why I should do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting RRNUSA----it will be interesting to see how things pan out this time

      Delete
  3. I am happy to be voting for Romney. What was is.
    I am a Rice person and still hoping to see her as President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca---I love Condi Rice too. She is awesome....

      Delete
  4. The Frauds committed in 2008 still piss me off ,at my 90% Republican Voting Precinct in Houston , we caught 3 buss loads , at least 10 Vans and who knows how many cars , all with out of State Plates , a huge Woman , over 6Ft tall held on to the Caucus sign in book but did so way too long , started noticing people picking up dropped Vote tickets and handing them out to those in line , temp dropped seemed like a good 40 points , the elderly for Hillary went home , it was 70 when we voted , called for back up, she arrived with a bullhorn and was kind enough to let me use it , I announced the FBI were on there way Please get your Texas ID or Voting registration out or you will go to jail , over 3/4 of the line took off ,finally we made it in to the Baptist Church , Hillary had won the Caucus and Vote only because they had taken so long , following procedures from Camp Obama ,it was after Midnight but we still filled complaints as did so many other Precincts, Few Days later Howard Dean announced there was only one unfounded complaint~against Hillary ! Hold a Grudge ,you bet I do !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did anyone take pictures? Would sure have helped to have proof. I can see people not realizing at that time the need for pictures, but did anybody take video or pictures of the actual busloads of people?

      Delete
    2. The story of the Texas two step caucuses in 2008 was a horror story. Dr. Lynette Long wrote alot about what happened there. Here are some links:

      http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/the-triumph-of-fraud-caucus-analysis-by-dr-lynette-long/blog-12649/

      http://citizenwells.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/obama-campaign-voter-fraud-obama-delegate-fraudulent-nazi-brownshirt-tactics-obama-thugs-obama-voter-fraud-texas-voter-fraud/

      http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/08/obama_and_the_thugs.html

      Delete
  5. While I resented that Hillary was treated as she was by the Democratic Party, I choose to vote for Barack Obama this year. Granted that the situation is not as we would wish after his four years in Office, I don't believe that Romney can fulfill his promises either, as we learned from Obama's tenure in Office. The candidates can promise the moon, so to speak, but when in office the situation is an entirely different matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks doctoragloria for coming over here and giving us your POV....

      Delete
  6. It's very simple for me. This year, I vote for the economy, so Mitt Romney. In 2016, I vote for Hillary. Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary 2016-----I like the sound of that Whatsertoe!!

      Delete
  7. Embassy security is part of the Secretary of State's portfolio, so taking the blame for Benghazi makes sense in that respect. But in this post, I explain that Hillary was probably not responsible for the decisions that she is accepting the blame for having gone wrong:

    http://thestilettoblog.com/2012/10/16/hillary-clintons-modified-limited-hangout-on-libya.aspx

    I believe that after making "Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive" an oft-repeated campaign slogan, Obama did not want it to get out that there are 1000 Bin Ladens waiting in the wings, and al Qaeda is on the march and not on the run as he claims. So this video and its hapless producer became the fall guys. I can see Obama/Biden trotting out this story, along with Carney, Axelrod and the rest of the campaign. But why did Hillary and Susan Rice get mixed up in this fiction? They should have remained above the fray. Internal State Department came out today showing that as the terror attack was in progress, people in Washington knew it was terrorism. What pressure could Obama possibly bring to bear on Hillary to make her knuckle under and tow his party line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry: That should read "internal State Department e-mails came out today ..."

      Delete
    2. the question about why Hillary is doing what she's doing in these circumstances is something alot of us ponder on a regular basis. Some people feel as if she has totally betrayed herself by taking responsibility. I disagree, but we shall see what the near future hold in this regard......

      Delete
  8. I so agree. The Dems shot themselves in the brain at Zero's 1st Convention. And nothing has been right since.

    ReplyDelete