What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Julianne Moore, Emmy Awards, Game Change Disgrace

Cynthia Ruccia



I have been hesitating writing about this topic because I know I will look like a bigger whiner than usual. I also really admire the talents of Julianne Moore greatly. I love the normally great shows on HBO. And lastly, I am not making my objections to what happened because I am a partisan hack.

HOWEVER, I just want to give voice to a particular point of view that found the entire subject of the book Game Change, the HBO movie Game Change, the 4 Emmys it won, and the unfortunate remarks made by Julianne Moore highly sexist and frankly, disgraceful. 

Some partisans have actually taken on the whole subject very well, talking about how classless the acceptance speech was, how ridiculous both the book and the movie were, based on lies, cardboard cutout versions of Sarah Palin, how the whole thing was a partisan hatchet job from beginning to end. They also discussed how the Hollywood establishment was just patting themselves on their sophomoric backs on how clever they were turning the perceived threat of Sarah Palin into someone ridiculous, and I can agree with their criticisms.

However, I am going to go further. First of all, I really admire Sarah Palin. I admire her guts and her smarts. Yes-----her smarts. I realize that she speaks the English language a little differently than those oh-so-smarty pants from the left side of the aisle. But if you actually listen to what she's trying to say, she's a whole lot smarter than those folks with their erudite impressions of what English is supposed to be. And I'm not going to argue with anyone about that.

The reason I'm not going to debate about her intelligence is the real crux of this whole piece. The left was so intent on destroying her, that they used every means possible INCLUDING SEXISM to vanquish her. And if you wonder what sexism I am referring to, examples of it can be found in the videos in the right column. And the book and movie Game Change were emblematic of this entire mind set. Yes, it is hypocrisy alert time. The party of women was using every sexist tool at its disposal to take out another woman including letting women do the dirty work for them. The women in this whole debacle were even more disgraceful than the men because they were used. And they totally missed the most OBVIOUS of points that by using sexist slurs to demean another woman, even one who they vehemently disagree with, they are giving permission for those same sexist slurs to be used against any woman at any time including themselves. I mean DUH????

As a result, the poor women who went along with this stupidity looked like they were so desperate to be part of their "in crowd" that they were willing to cross the line on sexism to prove their worthiness to be part of the group/club. It is absolutely pathetic how in denial that 'pro-woman" crowd is that they are so arrogantly supposedly pro woman but suspend their own rules when it suits their purposes. And Game Change in all its forms was the ugly wound illustrating all of it. The authors, the Emmy committee, everyone who put this film together, and everyone who snicker and laugh at themselves for being so clever to try to bury Sarah Palin should be ashamed of themselves. They are cowards.

As long as we women continue to not support one another we will continue to only have the crumbs of power we now have. You know, the #80 ranking in the world of female representation in government, the 16.8% of women in our Congress, the never having a woman president or VP, the 12% of governorships, the 8% of big city mayorships, the 3.6% of corporate CEO positions, the making 77 cents on the man's dollar. The whole ball of wax. How long will we continue to delude ourselves that we women are holding power when we are not? The emperor has no clothes!!!!

We can identify all of the reasons as to why we women are sitting where we are sitting. But one of the prime reasons is that we women refuse to support one another. It must be deeply rooted psychologically and it is a topic that to me needs alot more study. But as long as women sell themselves out to the various parties and interests in order to go along with the crowd(a sign of extreme female weakness in my opinion), we will not unite. And as long as we are divided, we don't use our power. Shame on everyone who was part of Game Change. You are a bunch of sexist, backward looking neanderthals. And shame on the women who continue to give them cover.

I close with an example of Hillary Clinton, a class act talking about Sarah Palin, someone who understands what I am talking about and who is and has always been a champion of ALL women:









25 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    I haven't seen any of these programs, but agree with your comments 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anonymous. It just makes sense to me....

      Delete
  2. I was taken aback when I heard Julianne's comments. It was the gratuitous last word, like some people hurl as they leave a room, inflaming the right/wrong dichotomy and doing nothing to bring us closer to each other or our shared goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was my feeling to. I was like "What did she just say????,"" and it was like rubbing salt into a wound. I was a Democrat for 40 years, and now an Independent for 4, and I am shocked at how the left has become the keeper of the sexist flame.

      Delete
    2. I too left the Democratic Party 4 years ago. Thank you for sharing Hillary Clinton's words about Sarah Palin. She perfectly models how it is that we can disagree and still extend respect.

      Delete
  3. I didn't see/read Game Change or watch the emmy show (TV sux and is so predictable) but you put into perspective the big problem women have amongst themselves. I'll never forget seeing a girl wearing "Sara Palin is a c***" t shirt. I thought right then and there that she had lost her mind. Bet she was also appalled at Sandra Fluke being called a slut without realizing that there was no difference at all. Just being with the cool kids I guess. We've become a society lacking awareness of others just wanting more Facebook friends.
    Good report and I hope Moore reads it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting point you make glennmcgahee about the Tshirt being the same side ofthe coin as the Sandra Fluke thing. The sexism of the left is that it is okay to be sexist to someone if they don't share your POV. Big huge hole in that argument....

      Delete
  4. Cynthia, As the "party of women," I will never understand why Democrats have the right to ridicule women who don't conform to their strict mindset. (Let's face it. This movie wouldn't have been made if Hollywood wasn't predominantly Democrats.) Sorry, to be partisan here. I'm not trying to start a fight. Just commenting on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatertoe----don't worry if you seem partisan. The sad thing is that sexism is an equal partisan thing. Both parties use it, but only one party claims that it is the party of women, and they have been the worst of the worst offenders of late when it comes to sexism.

    The whole message that they are passing along as I mentioned in the above comment, is that as long as you agree with us, we adhere by very strict rules when it comes to sexism. However, if you don't agree with us, we get to be as sexist as we want. There is something almost primal about it when the left decides that you aren't a lefty. You get shunned and they break all of their rules. Kind of cultish if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing the deranged Democrat idiocy regarding Palin did was flush out the vapid sexists who will do anything to belong to the "cool club". I was disgusted to find out just who these people and orgs were. As an independent I know on a gut level I do not want to empower or associate with this sort of person. I have a very good memory .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Bes----we must NEVER forget. And I like the way you put it that Palin flushed out the sexists who need to be cool. Why can't they see the damage they are doing?

      Delete
  7. I didn't oppose Sarah Palin because she is a woman. I opposed her because I disagreed with her politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora----disagreeing with positions is the honorable reason for opposing Sarah Palin.

      My point is that it brings total dishonor to our support or disagreement with women when people go beyond opposition to evisceration, shaming, demeaning, character assassination, sexist name calling, etc. It ends up hurting all women.

      I believe we left the territory of simple position opposition and into the land of sexism a long time ago. One of the most sexist memes is either the "stupid woman" or the "bitch" or the "dumb broad" or the "scolding mother" etc. so on. 2008 (and to some extent everything that went before it and after) proved that women running for power can be so easily diminished by any of the the memes, and we need to be very careful how we express our opposition to women. If not, we will be forever in the shadow of power without achieving any of it-----to the great detriment of our country.

      Delete
  8. Nora: The Democrats had the option to oppose Palin on her politics and that would have been honorable. But instead they mocked her personally, made up lies about her, printed Sarah is a cut shirts, hung her in effigy and continue to write BS book and make BS movies about her. Clearly they are deranged regarding Sarah and the concept of women in politics. I would never call you sexist for opposing a candidate on their politics, but the Democrats would call you racist for opposing their candidate on the issues and his record.

    ReplyDelete

  9. We women must not allow such foolishness! We must refuse to take part in dissing other women!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She actually said that Gov. Palin gave her a "thumbs down" and that is why she felt "validated?" How sad. It's revving up a woman-on-woman fight. It is based in childish behavior and does nothing to help women. I will think twice before plunking down money for a Julianne Moore movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes anonymous, it really doesn't help to hype a woman on woman fight, but that us exactly what happens. any woman who goes along with that should be ashamed for letting herself be used like that.

      Delete
  11. I knew nothing about this until reading your article, and I am sickened. Once again, we have an example of Hollywood celebrities and their cool liberalism, and I vow never to support them in any way ever again. The more people criticize Sarah Palin, the more I admire her. When will women get the message that we MUST support the efforts of all women and not tolerate indignities shown toward ANY of us? Keep writing, Cynthia; I get so revved up by your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous---I appreciate that!! You are right, and we need to keep talking about how to stop the sexism....

      Delete
  12. I find the whole "Women's Right" argument has descended into something that isn't about women and isn't about rights. It's about power. Women now willfully, carelessly and joyously seem to be willing to abandon a fight for their human rights in order to fight for their "reproductive" rights. A phrase I find objectionable on many levels.

    I am far more concerned about what is between women's ears than what's between their legs. If the first is nurtured and worked without worrying about which political party one is part of the rest will follow.

    When women in the spotlight, like Julianna Moore, whom I do not admire, use that spotlight, as she did, to denigrate another woman, we all, as women lose. Ms. Moore lost something too, the right to our respect.

    When these Follywood types show me that they aren't worth much as human beings then I decide that they are worth much as talents either. I have my own little boycott going and I find that there really isn't a whole lot coming out of Poliwood that interests me. Never was really.

    As for their silly awards show where they pat themselves on the back for how wonderful they all are, never watched, never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kenoshamarge-----your voice adds so much to this conversation and this blog. You simply put things in a very special way.

      Delete
  13. Good job Cynthia! I am disgusted with Moore. She can take a long walk off a short stage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen sister....her comments were unnecessary, and honestly, I question her even taking this role which was a total hit job.

      Delete
  14. Have you all seen this? Obama campaign.."vote like your lady parts depend on it", I am speechless. This is so offensive.

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/obama-campaign-lady-parts-gaffe-sparks-twitter-storm-173330929.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you wonder how low they can go----it's bottomless.

      Delete