What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Wednesday, August 29, 2012

She Made Me Cry

Cynthia Ruccia

Who is Mia Love? She is the electrifying speaker who by a mile was the best speaker on the Republican Convention stage yesterday. She is the Republican Mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah, the daughter of Haitian immigrants, married to a white man. They have beautiful children. She's a runner and teaches running in her spare time. She's a riveting speaker who reminds us of the promise of America and to me is the embodiment of inspiration, aspiration and hope. She's running for a seat in the U.S.House. She became mayor of her city when it was in crisis and she turned it around. She was introduced to the convention by this video:








And then she came onto the stage:





She reminded me why I love my country. She reminded me of my dreams. And she reminded me that that America still exists. In the clutter of today's talk about how we are declining as a civilization, it was refreshing to be reminded that the hope that is our country is still there. No matter what anyone else says------it's still there.

Hope she wins!!!!!!!

UPDATE:  I have been truly shocked at the reaction this woman (and by guilty association this post) has been receiving from the left. I put this piece up because I want to be able to support women on BOTH sides of the aisle to further along the day when women will hold 50% of the seats of power.  We need more women on both sides-----really we do!! The only argument we get against supporting women on the opposite side of wherever we are is that famous refrain "how can you vote (or support) someone with THOSE views?"

The problem with that argument is that someone with "THOSE" points of view is going to be elected anyways------why not a woman? And once that piece of the argument is out there, there is rarely any coherent comeback other than name calling, the refuge of scoundrels who have no cogent argument.

I found Mia Love, as I said above, to be THE BOMB-----so inspiring. so what if she's a Republican? She's a human being who I feel taps into our better natures and reminds us of why we're proud to be Americans. Even Democrats can be proud to be Americans. At least they were for the 40 years that I was a Democrat.

But I was horrified to discover this line of attacks against her----racist to the core FROM THE LEFT who are accusing all of us to be racists. And on MSNBC, the station where Chris Matthews viciously attacked Republican Party Chair Reince Priebus for being racist right on the air, the cable network didn't even have the decency to air any African American speeches from the RNC. As someone said in a comment on one of my favorite blogs, MSNBC gives new meaning to the term "blackout."

I have written some incendiary pieces over time that manage to piss people off. I even have a distribution list, and from time to time I lose a person here or there who I have made angry and they ask to unsubscribe. Today, my innocuous little piece about Mia Love inspired some of the worse email response I have received since I spoke up about the sexism in 2008. Huh????? I have been accused of being a "white old hag" and other such pretty rejoinders. all for being inspired by Mia Love. Who'd have thought expressing my admiration for her would be such a time bomb?

So in the spirit of women and bipartisanship, I'm going to put in the links for two amazing women who are running for office whom I hope will be elected. First off, Mia Love who is having a fundraising bomb as we speak. She's raised almost $125,000 in the past 24 hours:

https://mialove.nationbuilder.com/love_bmb_don

And then on the other side of the aisle is Wendy Greuel running for Mayor of Los Angeles:

https://services.myngp.com/ngponlineservices/contribution.aspx?X=lFTD3zYF5AROeWw25tpQwUyZtO/KHPG4

Remember that only 16.8% of Congress is female and of the 100 largest cities in the U.S., only 8% of the mayors are women. Your contribution of whatever you can do, even if you only have $5, can change that entire equation.




20 comments:

  1. She was my favorite speaker so far. I agree with you completely! She was soooo inspiring and uplifting. I may break my own rule and send her some $$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent her some $$$$ too. Their "Love Bomb" has raised $145,000 in the last 24 hours.

      Sent some to Wendy Greuel too!! Hope she speaks at the Democratic Convention next week.

      Delete
  2. Nikki Haley's speech was also terrific. I hope that the Democrats also highlight women with lots of speeches. Two weeks of women on both sides. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just Sent the L.A. candidate some money. I'd love to see her win.

      Delete
  3. Somehow, I don't expect to be as inspired by Sandra Fluke. I hope Mia Love wins, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well not everyone has the rhetorical skills of Love. I haven't seen that Fluke has been blessed in that area. But I'll be watching both sides anyways....

      It's one chance to see how the parties view their women and what their benches of women look lie. I'm still mad at the Democrats for their sexism-o-rama of 2008, and it will be hard to watch their convention as the perpetrators are still in charge. And it would be really nice to see less emphasis on abortion. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.....

      Delete
    2. For me it's not a matter of style because some of the women simply are not as gifted as Mia Love. But the message and the issues shouldn't be lost because of that. Style was voted into the White House and look how well that worked.

      I don't know if I'll bother to listen to Sandra Fluke. What has she done to be highlighted at such an event? I all ready know that her message isn't one I'm interested in or agree with. So I think I'll pass.

      I am looking forward to listening to Susanna Martinez tonight. She was my choice for Veep. I think she's speaking just before Paul Ryan.

      The GOP certainly has a lot of talented women.

      Delete
    3. hi kenoshamarge----I'm looking forward to Martinez's speech too!! And Condi Rice is speaking right before her.

      Delete
  4. Cynthia---wasn't Mia wonderful?!
    I wonder if MSNBC carried her speech? I doubt it.
    They (MSNBC) spent two days calling Romney and the Republicans "racists" and then didn't carry Artur Davis' speech last night!
    My point is, if the major networks (other than Fox) refuse to cover these wonderful, bright, up and coming women, and other "minoriities" who have differing views from Obama, it's a major problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy articles on this are already circulating. I didn't watch it on MSNBC last night myself but according to a lot of reports it was bad.
      Despicable MSNBC lapdogs whitewash minority speeches from RNC coverage

      Pathetic: MSNBC Cuts Speeches Given by Minorities at RNC From Coverage

      Delete
    2. MSNBC leaves me shaking my head. Although I watch them because I watch all three of the news stations, it is MSNBC that gets my dander up the most. All three of them piss me off though. It's just that MSNBC seems to be utterly blind to its hypocrisy. At least with Fox you get the idea that they are winking at you through some of their ridiculousness, and CNN is trying so hard these days that they don't offend as much as they used to.

      However, I do maintain that MSNBC is the best station to get warmed up to fast before I go out running. Adrenaline pumping!!!!

      Delete
    3. LOL---yes Cynthia...MSNBC will certainly get the adrenaline going!!

      Delete
  5. Thia---Thank you so much...I usually don't EVER watch MSNBC, but I wanted to know what they're doing and saying, because all of the liberal women I know WORSHIP the "journalists" as MSNBC....It boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way she is being treated just makes me so sad. I don't even know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about a "War On Women"! Guess only liberal women are allowed to voice their opinions. This is why I cannot, will not, consider myself a "feminist" ever again. The left has tainted that brand so that it is toxic to me. And should be to any decent woman.

      Delete
    2. the feminists have certainly become a parody of themselves......

      Delete
  7. Great speaker and great name. An opportunity, among many others, for women to unite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan----I like your positive message!!!!

      Delete