What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Thursday, August 2, 2012

The 2012 Dream Ticket

Cynthia Ruccia



I know it may seem pathetic, but I just want one more chance to dream about what could be this election cycle. I understand that my dream is a long shot, but I'm dreaming it anyways. I'm a great believer in thinking and dreaming big and believing that anything is possible. I take it as part of the holy grail of being an American.

My wildest dream amounts to this: both parties nominating a female VP and that no matter what, history will be made. We will finally shatter that particular glass ceiling once and for all, and it will just be a matter of time before a woman is elected President. And when these things come to pass, there will be a domino effect. People will get used to the symbolism of seeing a woman in charge, and they will then grow comfortable with the idea of women running things, and so finally the dam will burst, and women will start running things in proportion to their numbers. And by having the genders power share, our country will have a chance to create a new golden age, and we can once again know that the ideals of our founding fathers will be heeded, and the compact of equality for all will be fulfilled.


This whole scenario starts with Mitt Romney nominating a woman VP for his ticket. Honestly as I've written, the Republican bench is deep with outstanding women, any one of whom would be a brilliant pick for his running mate.  I'd be happy with any of them. However, my dream ticket would be for Romney to pick Condi Rice because of her foreign policy experience, her classiness, her ability to articulate very difficult concepts brilliantly, and because polling shows that with her on the ticket, Romney wins. No one could question whether she has the experience without looking like a sexist, racist fool. And I would love to see a VP debate with the other member of my dream team, Hillary Clinton.

But that's putting the cart before the horse. I believe that if Romney picks a woman, the numbers will move very favorably for him. And once that happens, the Obama team will panic and realize that they need to counter this maneuver by putting a woman on THEIR ticket. And the only woman to pick in that field would be Hillary Clinton.

Imagine that!!! Hillary and Condi debating, Hillary and Condi being attack dogs, Hillary and Condi pictured with the top of their respective tickets. If this comes to pass, THIS time when the daddies hold their little girls aloft to show them that they can dream of growing up to be anything they want to be, it won't be an empty wish. It will be REAL because a woman WILL become our next VP.

It all seems so obvious to me. And really, there's a possibility that it could happen. I know everyone says that both Condi and Hillary aren't interested. But everyone denies that they are interested----it's the proper thing to say. And of course we have the Palin-effect naysayers, those small thinkers who believe that we should never ever nominate a woman ever again since it didn't work out with Palin. Of course they sound ridiculous when they say that considering that they continually nominate men over and over again even when men lose. It's not a cogent enough reason for anyone to take too seriously when it gets right down to it.

So on a hot summer day laying in my hammock with a tall cool glass of lemonade, why not daydream about what could be? The window of opportunity is open for a little while longer.

15 comments:

  1. glad to see this kind of stuff up again on OUR page Cynthia. That other stuff was thumbs down.

    Wish it would happen like you wrote. Condi and Hillary. What a great dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote is for Kelly Ayotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are dreaming! I would vote for team Condi in a second but wouldn't it be cool to know we would at least have a woman VP either way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is more than lemon in your lemonade but it is a nice dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we're dreaming, can we have Rice on Romney's ticket and the Dems get scared enough to run Hillary as President? As 2008 proved, at the convention, anything is possible. Clinton/Biden has a nice ring to it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think Greta. why not?

      Delete
  6. I supported Hillary in the last election as did most West Virginia voters. However, after the super delegates took our voice away from us, I was no longer for the democrat party. I was still for Hillary, though at that point. But, when she threw her support to Obama, and accepted his appointment of Secretary of State, I could never support her again. I think the super ticket would be
    Romney-Rice, Romney-West, or Romney-Jan Brewer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Evelyn----I've spent a fair amount of time in West Virginia (I just live next door in Ohio), and I appreciate the integrity of the voters there. I understand how you felt when Hillary ended up supporting the Obama ticket. It made me sick as well. But I was reminded by that move that she is a politician above all else, just like the others, and her move made it possible for her to live to see another day. We haven't heard the end of her yet.

    Go Romney-Rice!!! :) (Bewer's a gutsy lady too!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I have spoken to you before. I agree that women need to have more of a role in Washington. But you have to admit that Hillary was winning in the 2008
      primary. Until then, had you ever heard of a super delegate, or for that matter, when was the last time that 2 states had their votes thrown out? I cannot support any party who can so easily throw their own party, their own voters " under the bus" for their own agenda. I have not forgotten how the "superdelegates" were able to vote their own opinion, their own choice instead of the voter's choices. You may be able to forget that, but I cannot, I will not. I think that there are a lot of other women, and a lot of other democrats that will remind their "old" party this election.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you when it comes to the Dems. I have a little group I talk to every day and we all feel the way you do. NEVER again will I support any party. NEVER. What happened in 2008 was despicable and I divorced the Dems for good after a great 40 year love affair. It's just that they were taken over by aliens. I don't even know who they are these days, and I hope I never acted like that when I was in thrall to them. The cheating as you mentioned, the election fixing, etc. But these days what I really hate is the streak of totalitarianism running through them. Either you see it my way or you must go down. No discussion. EVER.

      Delete
    3. The aliens only ammunition was the Koolaid. I am glad that you didn't drink it. But I am greatly saddened that Hillary did.

      Delete
  8. The suspense is killing me.

    ReplyDelete