What women's rights look like when the two sides come together as one.
What women's rights are when women are no longer manipulated by party rhetoric.


Sunday, July 17, 2011

All Women Win Today

When all women win all men win and all humanity wins!!!!  I'm sitting here watching the women's World Cup Finals with tears on my eyes. Yes, I could be crying because the U.S, lost. But that's not my story.

I had to work today, and all of the men in the house where I was were glued to the women's finals. When I got home, my facebook feed was all about men and women's reactions, minute by minute, to this same game. I walked into my house and my husband is screaming at the top of his lungs mesmerized by the women competing.

Yes we've seen this all before, women's soccer, women's basketball, women's tennis, women's golf. But it does appear that the critical mass of women in sports is getting truly closer to parity in a meaningful way.

Yes it's heartbreaking for our U.S. team to lose. I see the sad faces of the players. But we will avenge this loss, and when the World Cup returns in 4 years, the whole world will be watching, men and women. We women are not a curiousity. We play, we compete, and we are awesome. And the whole world knows it!!!!

8 comments:

  1. These soccer women are awesome!!! They made me see myself a little differently-----better. I like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was alot of interest in this game where I was too. More than I can remember before. The cynical would say that there wasn't anything else going on in sports today that was as important. But what the heck----they used to say that about women's sports too!!! I agree Cynthia----chalk up a win for us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also noticed quite an uptick in the level of attention. I'm noticing more media attention in general around the globe for women's issues, and I do find that promising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed Anna Belle!!!! Akthough someone commented to me that it wasn't such a hot day because Elizabeth Warren was canned. HOWEVER, we need to take our victory laps where we can-----and I'm taking one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a great day for women indeed!!!! But it would have been nice if the U.S. team had won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would have been nice if the U.S. team had won but it is also nice that the women of Japan have something for their beleaguered nation to cheer about. One of the players actually worked at the nuclear plant that was so dangerous. I cheer for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I were glued to it too and just couldn't believe those penalty kicks. Heartbreaking!

    I know more men that watched it than women. Hubs was commenting during the game on his college's sports blog and he said there were at least a hundred guys who were watching and rooting for the team. A lot of them like women's basketball and soccer better than the male teams because the women play more strategy and technique.

    We're picking up steam! Slowly but surely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news from your husband Thia-----the tide is turning!!!!

    ReplyDelete